Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Snow, Sleet & Freezing Rain!!!

Nikity waiting to be sent to her new home.
Last night we had snow and today we have sleet and freezing rain, this is not a problem for my auriculas. Only those that have blooms, can have a little damage to their blooms if not covered, all my mother plants are now outside so last night I covered them with 'fiberduk' to keep the snow and frost off them, many are now in bloom. My offsets are mostly still in the cold frames which I close a little to stop the rain getting in and making them too wet, I keep them partially open so that they are well ventilated.
I've now sent off over 50 packets and parcels of auriculas  to members, those that are still to be sent are placed outside on the North side of the greenhouse, protected by a plastic roof so that they do not get wet, but are otherwise fully exposed to the elements, so are fully hardened when they arrive. All the auriculas I send out have been outside in my cold frames all winter, it was a bit milder this winter and the coldest we had was just minus 20°C , this was not a problem for them. /Ray
Snow on the cold frames
Snow on the cold frames
'Fiberduk' covering some of my motherplants.
'Fiberduk' covering some of my motherplants.
Auriculas outside on the North side of greenhouse
awaiting to be sent to their new homes.

No comments:

Post a Comment