Wednesday, March 6, 2013

A tricky time!!!

This can be a little bit of a tricky time of the year for auriculas in the greenhouse.

The daytime temperatures may still be around or under zero, but the sun can soon warm up the greenhouse to quite high temperatures, I’ve had up to plus 26°C in the daytime just recently. Then of course it drops at night to well below zero and the auriculas freeze solid again. I open the doors during the day to reduce the temperature and try to keep a more even temperature for the auriculas. I also check for any auriculas that have totally dried out, I give them just a small amount of water so that they are barely moist. 

This not such a problem for the cold frames as they tend to keep a more even temperature; I do open them during the day to ventilate them and give the auriculas some fresh air.

No comments:

Post a Comment