Saturday, November 24, 2012

Clay versus Plastic pots.

13w x 9h fancy pot, 11w x 10h pot, 10w x 10h 'Whichford' auricula pot
Both clay and plastic pots have advantages and disadvantages when it comes to growing auriculas.

I use both, but for different purposes. I use clay for growing and displaying my auriculas, whilst I use plastic for more every day use and for growing the bulk of my auriculas.
10w x 9h small pot,              10w x 13h 'Long Tom'
Clay Pots Advantages:-
Natural material.
Very pleasing to look at, many different styles to choose from and they quickly acquire an individual patina.
‘Long Tom’ clay pots are particularly pleasing. ‘Long Tom’ = height is greater than the width i.e. h. 13 cm w. 10 cm.
Keeps the soil dryer, less chance of over watering your auriculas.

Clay Pots Disadvantages:-
Heavy.
More difficult to clean compared to plastic.
Require more watering in hot dry conditions.
Usually more expensive than plastic pots.
6 x 6 Sq. plastic, 8 x 8 Sq. plastic, 11 x 9 round plastic
Plastic Pots Advantages:-
Light in weight.
Require less watering in hot dry condition.
Less expensive than clay pots.
Easy to clean.

Plastic Pots Disadvantages:-
Easier to overwater your auriculas.
Hard to find a good looking plastic pot
MATILDA in 11 x 10 clay pot, 24/11/12
I must admit I think that clay pots are much better for keeping and growing auriculas in. They just look so much better than plastic, particularly when shown in an auricula theatre.
I use clay pots for most of my display auriculas. ‘Long Toms’ if I can find them, this is not so easy in Sweden.
Auricula Theatre with clay pots.
I use plastic pots mainly for economic and space reasons. When you have thousands of offsets it makes sense to use small 6 cm or 8 cm square plastic pots. I use cheap plastic pots made from recycled plastic for this purpose.

Next week I will begin to write about the different types & classes of auriculas, starting with alpines.

No comments:

Post a Comment